Anatomy of a Nonprofit Thank You Letter plus Sample Template
Why you should get this Guide + Checklist + Samples
This is a simple, step-by-step guide to crafting a killer donor thank you letter. Writing a meaningful nonprofit thank you can be tricky. But it’s not rocket science – it’s something you can easily learn. It’s just not something most of us are taught.
Thank you is the beginning of building a transformative relationship with your supporters. It’s one of the most important things you’re not doing well, and here’s why:
- A first-time gift is often made as a test. It’s a spur-of-the-moment decision… or a favor to a friend… or a “let’s see what they do with this/how they treat me” sort of transaction.
- A second gift is often made from habit. It’s an “I did it before, so I must’ve been right” type of action. No real decision-making involved.
- Giving can be a rut. A semi-passive endeavor.
- Creative, personal, awesome thank you letters can get your donors out of their ruts and move them towards active, thoughtful, and even passionate, giving.
“I never got a thank you for my gift.”
“I made my first gift, and they were already asking for a second gift with the thank you. It just looks like they want money!”
“They never told me what my gift would accomplish.”
“It took two months before I got a thank you! I guess it didn’t mean that much to them.”
Is this what your donors are saying?
If you’re ignoring any of the elements that go into making your thank you prompt, personal and effective you’re ignoring your organization’s future.
Did you know that that up to five out of every ten donors stop giving – or give less – because they feel, in part, that their giving isn’t appreciated?
If you have trouble knowing what to write… if you’re not sure what to include with your thank you letter… if you don’t know who should sign it… if you’re unsure how long or short your letter should be… if you wonder about the process for thanking online givers… if you just know your thank you could use a shot in the arm… this is the Guide for you.
- 3 THANK YOU ESSENTIALS: Mind Your “P’s”
- THE “SWEET 16 “KEY ELEMENTS OF EFFECTIVE THANK YOU LETTERS
- GENERAL RULES
- LETTER SAMPLE #1
- LETTER SAMPLE #2
- WHAT ABOUT DONORS WHO GIVE ONLINE?
- A WORD ABOUT THANK YOU CALLS
- OTHER RESOURCES
- Two Free Gifts!
This is a simple.
Simple, yet powerful. If you follow these guidelines, you’ll get repeat and upgraded gifts. You’ll raise more money. This stuff works. That’s it!