Leadership’s Role in Major Gift Development – A ‘To-Do’ and Checklist
Why you should get this Checklist
If your Board, your CEO and your Executive Management Team are not passionate about your donors then it will be extraordinarily difficult – if not impossible – to succeed with major gifts fundraising.
This is a simple 17-point Checklist that will take you through all the key principles your leadership must embrace for your major gifts effort to succeed.
A lot of this is common sense (well, at least I think it is!), but it’s amazing how often we check our common sense at the door when we cross our office threshhold. And the same holds true for board members who are exceptionally good leaders in their work and community roles, but who somehow lose sight of these leadership essentials when they put on their nonprofit hats.
How much more money could you raise if leadership embraced their donor development role?
A lot, is what I’m guessing.
“Our E.D. isn’t good at fundraising, but she’s great at developing and managing programs and being a leader in the field.”
“When I joined the board I told them I’d do anything but fundraising. It’s just not my strength.”
“Only the E.D. and development staff are allowed to talk to donors. We don’t want other staff bothering them.”
“We hate it when development folks use clients as ‘poster children’ to sell donations.”
Do any of these statements sound familiar?
- Does your leadership truly understand the role of donors in your mission?
- Do non-development staff in your organization see themselves as donor facilitators?
- Do board members embrace their fundraising role?
- Do program staff willingly help you to show donors the impact of their philanthropy?
- Are donors embraced as heroes, or as a ‘necessary evil’?
If you can’t answer with a resounding YES to all these questions, then you should get this checklist. Otherwise, you’re ignoring your organization’s future. Plus you’re just making your life a lot more difficult than it needs to be.
Bring the true joy of fundraising into your organization by sharing this Checklist. And use it as your ‘To-Do’ List to set yourself up for success.
- 17 Principles your Board, CEO and Executive Management Must Embrace –Your ‘To-Do’ List!
- Real life example
- Special BONUS: 15-minute complimentary phone consultation – just for getting the Checklist! (There’s a spot inside the Checklist where you can claim your time.)
This is simple.
Simple, yet powerful. If you follow this Checklist as a guideline for structuring your major gifts program, you’ll raise more money. This stuff works. That’s it!