Major Gifts – 40 Questions to Ask Major Gift Prospects before You Make Them an Offer They Can’t Refuse
Why you should get this Checklist
The most underacknowledged fundraising truism is this: It’s not about the ‘ask’; it’s about the relationship.
You aren’t ready to ask for a gift until you’ve built a solid, trusting relationship with your major donor prospect. And the best way to do this is by drawing them out ahead of time.
It’s your job to learn enough about your prospect that you can make an ideal “match” between their values and interests and your fundraising offer.
Consider this Question Checklist your key to making a fundraising offer your prospect won’t want to refuse.
You’ll get 40 questions, organized according to categories, all designed so that you won’t leave money on the table.
In this Question Checklist we’ll take a close look at:
- Questions to learn more about your donor
- Questions to secure donor advice and feedback
- Questions to learn more about your donor’s philanthropic interests and habits
- Questions to help you determine next best steps
- Questions to help your donor get their questions answered
- Questions to help your donor trust you
- Questions to get your donor more involved
- Questions to ascertain your donor’s readiness to give
How much more money could you raise if you knew the key questions to unlock your donors interests and passions?
A lot, is what I’m guessing.
I feel awkward going into a donor meeting.
I’m never sure what questions to ask.
I’m not sure how much to talk about them, and how much to talk about our campaign.
I’m not sure about the appropriate way to close a meeting that hasn’t resulted in a gift.
I feel uncomfortable making the fundraising offer, as I’m never sure about the timing.
If you’ve struggled with any of these issues , then this Question Checklist is important reading.
This is a simple and straightforward.
Simple, yet powerful. If you follow this Question Checklist as a guideline for structuring your major gifts cultivation, you’ll raise more money. This stuff works. Try it!