What the heck are “planned gifts?”
For some reason, this term remains largely mysterious for many nonprofits. There’s a feeling planned giving is complicated. Not for the faint of heart or the small of budget.
This couldn’t be more wrong.
- Are they deferred (i.e., you won’t receive them until after the donor dies)?
- Are they outright (i.e., you’ll receive money now)?
- Are they only for building an organizational endowment?
- Are they just another term for major gifts?
- Are they gifts where donors receive benefits like life income and tax avoidance?
- Are they legacy gifts?
The Truth about “Planned Gifts”
They’re all of the above!
If there’s any overarching guideline, the truth is that planned gifts generally represent the largest gift a donor will make to you.Details