7 Strategies to Revolutionize Your Nonprofit Culture to Stop Losing Donors
I hear a lot of complaining about donors.
They should do this:
- Be more compliant.
- Not make us work so hard to please them.
- Treat us like we know what we’re doing.
- Give just because it’s the ‘right’ thing to do.
They shouldn’t do that:
- Give any way other than ‘unrestricted.
- Demand specifics on how their money was spent.
- Act like they know more than we do.
- Require reports that take us hours to complete.
What about what YOU should and should not do to build sustainable, fulfilling relationships with your supporters?
I don’t hear enough of “What can we do to delight our donors today?”
I hear too much of “We already sent a thank you; that’s enough, and they shouldn’t expect more.”
Donors are people first, philanthropists second. And people need to know they’re important to you.
Let me tell you a true story.
A close friend of mine used to complain to me about her husband all the time. Why? Because he didn’t tell her he loved her enough. Understatement of the year.