Proven Strategies to Take Charge of Major Donor Asks
Before asking, begin by assuring you and your donor are on the same page.
The major donor journey is generally a long one. It’s important to craft a blueprint for the process and take time, along the way, to assure the journey is sparking joy and bringing energy. If you’ve never asked for a major gift, it can seem scary. Even if you’ve asked in the past, the process can still seem daunting. This article is designed to help take the worry out of asking for a major gift. How? By putting it in context and framing it as an opportunity, not a burden.
As long as you’re providing value to the donor, you’re in a good place. Value can take many forms.
- An opportunity to feel noticed and special.
- An opportunity to offer feedback.
- An opportunity to share wisdom.
- An opportunity to learn new things.
- An opportunity to get behind-the-scene information.
- An opportunity to meet someone new.
- An opportunity to create connection.
- An opportunity for a fun and friendly chat
- An opportunity to find meaning and purpose.
Lead with the value you provide and the benefit they’ll gain if they meet with you. The value you offer at any point in time depends on the donor and where you are in the process of wooing. Provided you’re generally (1) clear, (2) compelling, (3) courageous and (4) careful, you’ll surely succeed.
Let’s dig a little deeper into each of these important components.Details