By now you undoubtedly know you’re losing too many first-time donors.
In fact, the most recent Fundraising Effectiveness Project report shows you’re losing an average of 68% of these folks!
Today I want to talk about a subset of new donors who don’t renew. They’re called “third party donors,” and they come to you through a variety of portals:
- Guests of event ticket buyers
- Online auction purchasers
- Donors who give to friends’ P2P fundraising pages
- Donors who give to crowdfunding campaigns sent to them via a friend
- Donors who make tribute gifts in honor or memory of a friend or loved one
The good folks at Classy know most nonprofits are not doing a good job cultivating donors who come to them through third parties, so they’ve prepared The Guide to Courting Third Party Donors. You can download it for free (40 pages), but let me give you the highlights – along with some of my own thoughts.